Ken paid for his legal education by working as a Teamster for a New Orleans Schlitz distributorship. He has tried several hundred cases before the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, a large percentage of them on behalf of Teamsters. He was named a Top Lawyer in 2003 by Leading Lawyers Network and was named to the advisory board which selected other Illinois attorneys for this distinction. As a leading lawyer in Illinois, he consistently earns some of the largest awards and settlements at the Commission. Several of these large settlements have been on behalf of Teamsters as well as union electricians, plumbers and pipefitters. He is a member of the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association.
Ken was named a Leading Lawyer in 2019 and 2021 by Leading Lawyers Magazine. This honor is bestowed on less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law and recognizes lawyers who have proven themselves professionally and ethically.
Ken joined the firm in 1979 and became a partner in 1983. Ken graduated from Illinois State University in 1973 with a major in business administration and obtained his law degree from Loyola University of New Orleans in 1977.
Contact Ken via email at email@example.com or by telephone at (312) 726-5567.
Some of Ken’s Significant Awards and Settlements:
11WC 2708 – 59-year-old non-union delivery driver injured his non-dominant shoulder requiring two surgeries. Claimant was able to prove an “odd-lot” permanent total with the Arbitrator awarding the Petitioner $785.43 per week for the rest of his life.
89WC 38543, 91WC 18716 and 92WC 22846 – 53-year-old factory line worker required surgery for bilateral carpal tunnel. The Commission found the employer had miscalculated earnings and had intentionally underpaid the Claimant. Medical bills were awarded of $1,080.00, penalties under Section 19(k) of $28,731.24 were awarded, penalties were awarded under Section 19(l) of $2,500.00 and additional attorney’s fees under Section 16 of $5,746.25. The Commission also found the Claimant as a result of the bilateral carpal tunnel was permanently and totally disable for life and was to receive $521.06 per week for life. The Decision was affirmed by the Circuit Court.
88 WC 37795 – Chicago Transit Authority claim – Claimant was a 59-year-old ticket agent who proved a back injury due to repetitive bending requiring back surgery. The Commission awarded $1,572.25 in medical bills and found the Claimant was permanently and totally disabled for life and incapable of working and was to receive $400.00 per week for life. The Decision of the Commission was affirmed by both the Circuit Court of Cook County and the Appellate Court of Illinois.
81WC 19676 – Claimant was a 33-year-old electrician who injured his lower back while pulling on a fan housing. The Claimant only had conservative medical care with no surgery. The Commission awarded medical bills of $2,434.36, penalties under Section 19(l) of $2,500.00, 19(k) penalties of $30,933.31 and additional attorney’s fees under Section 16 of $12,373.32. The Commission found the Claimant was permanently and totally disabled and entitled to receive $375.60 per week for life. The Decision was affirmed by the Circuit Court of Cook County and the Appellate Court of Illinois.
95WC 32207 – 58 -year-old banquet waiter suffered a hernia while carrying a tray requiring a hernia surgical repair. The case was tried before the Commission and claimant received a wage differential award of $386.17 payable for life. Decision affirmed on appeal.
- 93WC 7801 – Back injury required surgery. Settled for $700,000.00.
- 12WC 8549 – 32-year-old union plumber was descending a plank which broke resulting in 4 knee surgeries. The case settled for $560,000.00.
- 12WC 13796 – 46-year-old tuck pointer fell off a scaffold injuring his back resulting in two surgeries. The case settled for $500,000.00 plus the funding of a Medicare Set Aside in the amount of $82,904.46.
- 05WC 13050 – 44-year-old non-union female pressman was lifting a bucket and injured the lower back resulting in a fusion and a permanent spinal cord stimulator. Disability benefits were paid for 12 years and the case settled for $485,000.00 as client could not return to work at prior occupation due to permanent work restrictions.
- 08WC 51092 – 35-year-old nonunion driver slipped and fell injuring his right shoulder resulting in multiple surgeries with a stimulator implant resulting in a settlement of $465,000.00.
- 02WC 6761 – Consolidated Freightways claim – 55-year-old teamster union truck driver injured back stepping out of truck. Multiple back surgeries resulting in a settlement of $450,000.00 and open medical for life.
- 09WC 4787 – 53-year-old nonunion building engineer fell from a raised cage resulting in injuries to his back, shoulders and knee. After multiple surgeries to each body part the case settled for $435,000.00 and an MSA.
- 08WC 52923 – 52-year-old lifting and stocking in warehouse injured lower back requiring surgery. The case settled for $425,000.00 plus MSA.
- 11WC 48943(4) – Con Way Freight claim – 60-year-old nonunion truck driver fell in a trailer sustaining shoulder and head injuries. Case settled for $400,000.00 and a Medicare Set Aside.
- 09WC 35774(5), 10WC 13806 and 10WC39485 – Fed Ex Freight claim – 30-year-old nonunion dock worker had multiple injuries to his lower back but with no surgery resulting in a settlement of $400,000.00.
- 99WC 32062 – YRCW Worldwide claim – 49-year-old teamster union truck driver involved in motor vehicle accident with lower back surgery. Case settled for $285,000.00 and MSA in excess of $400,000.00
- 07WC 17298 – Fed Ex Freight claim – 64-year-old truck driver involved in motor vehicle accident sustaining injuries requiring a cervical fusion and right shoulder surgery. Case settled for $400,000.00 plus open medical.
- 11WC 2705 – United Parcel Service claim – 31-year-old teamster union driver pulled a package injuring the lower back resulting in two surgeries. Case settled for over $390,000.00 plus a Medicare Set Aside.
- 04WC 53096 – 41-year-old union building engineer was lifting a lid on a cooling tower sustaining bilateral shoulder injuries resulting in surgeries. The case settled for $390,000.00 plus an MSA.
- 10WC 23896 – 53-year-old heavy equipment operator fell from equipment. Back and left knee surgery with case settling for $375,000.00 and a payment of a Medicare Set Aside of $102,000.00.
- 08WC 32520 – 31-year-old was moving a patient which resulted in a back injury and surgery. The case settled for $360,000.00.
- 06WC 18716 – YRC Worldwide claim – 44-year-old teamster union truck driver was in a motor vehicle accident injuring the left shoulder resulting in two surgeries. Settlement: $328,000.00 plus a Medicare Set Aside.
- 10WC 28710 – US Foodservice claim – 53-year-old teamster driver injured knee while descending a ramp resulting in two surgeries. Case settled for $325,000.00 and a Medicare Set Aside.
- 11WC 4955 – US Foodservice claim – 54-year-old teamster union truck driver was loading his truck when he injured his left shoulder resulting in a surgery. Disability benefits were paid for over three years and the case settled for $325,000.00.
- 10WC 3037 – 54-year-old truck driver ruptured the biceps of his nondominant arm resulting in a settlement of $325,000.00
- 07WC 5432 – 57-year-old union electrician was lifting a switch box sustaining a hernia resulting in hernia surgeries. The case settled for $320,000.00.
- 08WC 14543 – United Parcel Service claim – 49-year-old teamster union driver exposed to cold weather causing peripheral neuropathy and restless leg syndrome. Case settled for $300,000.00 and an MSA.
- 12WC 11114 – YRC Worldwide claim – 52-year-old female teamster union dock worker pulled down a truck door. Injuries resulted in a cervical fusion and right shoulder surgery with case settling for $300,000.00.
- 05WC 43965 – 49-year-old union electrician slipped and fell injuring his ankle resulting in surgery. The case settled for over $258,000.00.
- 15WC 28353 – 65-year-old banquet waiter carrying tray slipped and injured back which required surgery. Settled for $250,000.00 and MSA.
- 13WC 12562 – Fed Ex Freight claim – 34-year-old nonunion truck driver was pulling a chain on dock plate and injured his lower back resulting in two surgeries. Case settled for $225,000.00
- 13WC 33983 – 55-year-old nonunion concrete laborer was pulling forms resulting in two surgeries. The case settled for $200,000.00.
- 09WC 19315 – United Airlines claim – 50-year-old union ramp worker injured his right knee resulting in surgery with a $200,000.00 settlement and $50,000.00 Medicare Set Aside.
- 13WC 29663 – US Foodservice claim – 61-year-old teamster driver injured back lifting at work resulting in back surgery. Case settled for $190,000.00 and Medicare Set Aside.
- 12WC 3873 – Chicago Park District claim – 50-year-old union electrician picked up an electric lift from a truck and sustained a tear of the left shoulder and a herniated cervical disc which resulted in a surgery to the non-dominant left shoulder and two cervical fusions. The case settled for $175,000.00 representing approximately a 10% loss of the person for the shoulder and a 40% loss of the person for the neck injury. Return to work as a union electrician with a different employer.
- 09WC 23754 – 53-year-old teamster driver fell getting out of truck sustaining injuries to right shoulder and lower back with no surgery and settled for $150,000.00 plus a Medicare Set Aside in the amount of $22,266.93.
- 13WC 32306 – 61-year-old lab technician from union of operating engineers on a four-wheeler which overturned, and Petitioner required bilateral ear surgery. Claimant paid four years of disability benefits with case settling for $142,000.00, payment of outstanding medical bills and a Medicare Set Aside.
- 13WC 16468 – 33-year-old part-time fleet service clerk sustained whiplash injury driving cart resulting in two lower back surgeries settled for $125,000.00
- 14WC 23506 – United Airlines claim – 63-year-old union ramp service man caught non-dominant hand in cart resulting in surgery to the hand and elbow. Settled for over $125,000.00 plus a Medicare Set Aside in the amount of $8,268.08.
- 13WC 616 – United Parcel Service claim – 48-year-old teamster union truck driver injured his neck resulting in surgery and a settlement of approximately $125,000.00 representing a 35% loss of his body.
- 12WC 30054(5)(6)(7) – ABF Freight System claim – 52-year-old teamster union truck driver was lifting a dock plate and injured his lower back resulting in surgery and a settlement of over $121,000.00 representing a 35% loss of the person.
- 12WC 24478 – 52-year-old nonunion copy machine repairman making slightly over minimum wage lifted a machine injuring his cervical spine resulting in three cervical fusions. Claimant was paid for four years of disability benefits and settled his case for $100,000.00 and a Medicare Set Aside.
- 12WC 3870 – 43-year-old kindergarten teacher tore her left hamstring requiring surgery. Case settled for $100,000.00 and client returned to work with the same employer after 3 ½ years of lost time.
- 16WC 14546 – 61-year-old nonunion carpenter fell off trailer fracturing his lower back. Case settled for $100,000.00 and a Medicare Set Aside.
- 14WC 24902 – 54-year-old teamster driver fell off truck fracturing his knee cap and wrist resulting in a settlement of $95,000.00
- 14WC 4868 – 36-year-old union food worker injured his back carrying a container requiring two back surgeries resulting in a settlement of $90,000.00.
- 02WC 58716 – 37-year old union picker/packer at parts warehouse. Back injury while bending to pick up part requiring back surgery. Claimant received disability benefits for 3 ½ years for lost time from work, and a weekly maintenance benefit for 10 years as part of the settlement, the employer agreed to leave medical rights open for life and to pay the Claimant $544.59 per week for life and an additional $100,000.00 for any past disputed benefits, penalties and attorney fees claimed by the Petitioner’s attorney.
Krol, Bongiorno & Given provides legal services to residents in Chicago metropolitan area, including Cook County, DeKalb County, DuPage County, Grundy County, Kankakee County, Kane County, Kendall County, McHenry County, and Will County area.
Latest Illinois Workers’ Compensation Law Articles
Kenneth R. Given
Phone : (312) 726-5567