Types of Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Illinois

Categories: Illinois Workers’ Compensation Law. | February 9, 2024

Illinois law requires that businesses with employees must have workers compensation insurance, even if it’s just one part-time employee. There are a few limited exceptions to this requirement, such as sole proprietors. If you are hurt or become ill while performing a job-related task, you’re eligible for workers compensation benefits.

These benefits include:

– Medical Treatment
– Temporary Disability Payments
– Permanent Disability Payments
– Vocational Rehabilitation (if you cannot go back to your old duties)

When you get sick or injured at work in Illinois, you’re required to inform your employer within 45 days of the incident. Your employer is required to inform their workers compensation insurance company or administrator. If you cannot work for more than three days because of the injury or illness, your employer must:

– Continue to pay you, even if the claim hasn’t been made with the insurance company
– File the “Employer’s First Report of Injury” with the Illinois Workers Compensation Commission
– Provide a written explanation to you of any additional documentation or information that is needed for a claim.

If you have suffered an injury at work, we recommend the following steps:

1. Obtain first aid or any other necessary medical treatment as soon as possible.
2. Notify your employer about the injury and the way in which it occurred, as soon as possible.
3. Call Krol, Bongiorno & Given. Once you have received necessary emergency medical treatment, your next step is to call an experienced workers’ compensation attorney.

While workers’ compensation in Illinois can pay for your lost wages and medical expenses, keep in mind that the insurance companies would try to pay you as little as possible. Regardless of your specific injury, you will want to work with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer to ensure you get the most out of your claim. For immediate help with a work injury case, call (312) 726-5567 for a free consultation or contact us online.